Global Gap Year
The 2-semester Global Gap Year:
- Tuition: $31,500
- Airfare: Averages $5,000, though it can vary.
- Program Dates: September 14, 2019 – March 21, 2020
- Deadline to Apply: July 31st, 2019
Latin America Gap Semester
- Tuition: $13,300
- Airfare: Averages $1,750, though it can vary.
- Fall ’19 Program Dates: September 14th, 2019 – December 14th, 2019
- Spring ’20 Program Dates: 13 weeks – February 8th to May 9th.
- Deadline to Apply: July 31st for Fall; December 31st for Spring.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance (this does not replace normal health insurance)
- Visa and entry fees
- Food, Accommodation, and Transportation
- Educational components
- Enrichment activities
You can learn more about ways to make your TBB program possible by visiting the Fundraising Tuition and Scholarships tabs. If you have any questions or concerns about tuition and payment, please email us for more information.
What Isn’t Included
- Airfare - All international airline tickets are purchased by TBB to ensure the lowest possible cost and all members of the group have the same itinerary (except for Social Impact Summer). A separate invoice for airfare will be sent to you in the summer preceding your program. Unfortunately, frequent flyer miles cannot be used for these tickets because they are purchased at group discount rates.
- Incidentals - Students will need spending money for incidentals, expenses incurred during Independent Student Travel, and snacks. TBB recommends students budget $50 per program week for spending money. However, please note that managing this spending is the responsibility of the students. While Program Leaders can help students plan ahead, it is ultimately the responsibility of students to manage these funds throughout their program.
Thinking Beyond Borders offers need-based scholarships to help make our programs accessible to all students, regardless of financial need. Please take a few minutes to learn about our scholarship process below.
Once you have completed the application process and been admitted to TBB, you can apply for financial aid. TBB determines financial need the same way colleges do. Scholarship applicants share basic financial information, which we use to determine your level of financial need. We strongly recommend completing the financial aid application as soon as possible upon admission to our programs, as access to scholarships is limited by the amount in our scholarship fund.
Global Gap Year applicants who are determined to have financial need can receive up to a $5,000 scholarship, based on the level of need. To secure this scholarship, the student must submit the $500 program deposit.
Semester program applicants who are determined to have financial need can receive up to a $3,000 scholarship, based on the level of need. To secure this scholarship, the student must submit the $500 program deposit.
Students with financial need are also eligible for Matching Scholarships. These scholarships will match the funds a student raises through their online campaign with TBB's fundraising partner YouCaring.com up to a set limit. You will be notified of your potential scholarship match limit at the time you receive your scholarship award notification. The match is only available as long as there are funds available in the TBB Scholarship Fund. Once these funds have been exhausted for the program year, we are unable to match any additional funds you raise. We strongly recommend students begin their fundraising campaigns as soon as possible to ensure they can take advantage of the full matching funds.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
The American Gap Association offers listings of additional scholarship opportunities available to gap year students. Check them out!
Make your TBB program a reality by fundraising for your tuition. We provide tools and support to help students raise funds toward their tuition. In past years, individual students have raised as much as $26,000! With the right tools, good strategy, and hard work, you can raise funds and help pay for your TBB program, too.
One of the ways we support student fundraising is through our YouCaring, a crowd-funding platform. This is a great tool to make outreach and fundraising in your family and friend network easier. TBB staff support student fundraising efforts, and TBB will promote student campaigns through social media and other networks.
Additionally, we provide staff support and guidance to students as they develop their fundraising campaign. What do successful campaigns include? You’ll reach out to your family and community and explain why a program with Thinking Beyond Borders is an important step in preparing you to address critical global issues. Using email, Facebook, Twitter, and even hand written letters, you can share you message broadly as you ask your community to invest in you and your commitment to our world. You can host events, reach out to local businesses, and pursue grants from organizations like Rotary and Kiwanis. The possibilities are endless. With support from TBB, the more work you put in, the more funds you will raise.