Global Gap Year
The 2-semester Global Gap Year:
- Tuition: $31,500
- Airfare: Averages $5,000, though this may vary (not included in tuition)
- Program Dates: September 14, 2019 – March 28, 2020
- Duration: 28 weeks
- Final Deadline to Apply: July 31st, 2019
Latin America Gap Semester
- Tuition: $13,300
- Airfare: Averages $1,750, though it can vary (not included in tuition)
- Program Dates: February 8th 2020 to May 9th 2020
- Duration: 13 weeks
- Deadline to Apply: July 31st for Fall; December 31st for Spring
Once accepted, students pay a non-refundable $500 enrollment deposit to secure their spot. The remaining balance of the tuition is paid in installments up to 60 days prior to the departure. Airfare is due 30 days prior to the departure. Our cancellation policy with regard to payments is:
"Thinking Beyond Borders (TBB) reserves the right to cancel, alter, reschedule or amend any or all programs offered at any time. If a program is cancelled by TBB prior to departure, TBB will refund all payments made by the applicant. If a program is cancelled by TBB once it has begun, a portion of the applicants' total payments will be refunded. Once you have accepted admission, cancellation by you results in a penalty. If you cancel your enrollment up to ninety (90) days before the starting date of your program, you forfeit 35% of the total tuition. If you cancel your enrollment between eighty-nine (89) to sixty (60) days before the starting date of your program, you forfeit 50% of the total tuition. If you cancel your enrollment less than sixty (60) days prior to the starting date of your program, you forfeit 100% of your total tuition."
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance (this does not replace normal health insurance)
- Visa and entry fees
- Food, Accommodation, and Transportation
- Educational components
- Enrichment activities
You can learn more about ways to make your TBB program possible by visiting the Fundraising Tuition and Scholarships tabs. If you have any questions or concerns about tuition and payment, please email us for more information.
What Isn’t Included
- Airfare - While flights are a separate cost from tuition, all international airline tickets are reserved by TBB to ensure the lowest possible cost to participants and all members of the group have the same itinerary. Once enrolled, you will be able to access the list of program flights for purchase on our travel advisor portal. Unfortunately, frequent flyer miles cannot be used for these tickets because they are purchased at group discount rates.
- Vaccination Costs- Depending on the program, this price will vary, as our programs travel to areas which require certain vaccinations against local disease such as Yellow Fever. Once enrolled we provide you with a detailed itinerary that will allow your doctor to determine which vaccines are necessary to prescribe.
- Incidentals - Students will need spending money for incidentals, expenses incurred during Independent Student Travel, and snacks. TBB recommends students budget $50 per program week for spending money. This comes out to roughly $1,500 for Global Gap Year and $750 for Semester programs. However, please note that managing this spending is the responsibility of the students. While Program Leaders can help students plan ahead, it is ultimately the responsibility of students to manage these funds throughout their program.
Thinking Beyond Borders offers need-based scholarships to help make our programs accessible to all students, regardless of financial need. Please take a few minutes to learn about our scholarship process below.
Once you have completed the application process and been accepted to TBB, you can apply for financial aid. TBB determines financial need the same way colleges do. Scholarship applicants share basic financial information, which we use to determine your level of financial need. We strongly recommend completing the financial aid application as soon as possible upon admission to our programs, as access to scholarships is limited by the amount in our scholarship fund.
Global Gap Year applicants who are determined to have financial need can receive up to a $5,000 scholarship, based on the level of need. Financial Aid scholarships will be offered upon acceptance to the program and to secure this scholarship, the student must submit the $500 program deposit.
Semester program applicants who are determined to have financial need can receive up to a $3,000 scholarship, based on the level of need. Financial Aid scholarships will be offered upon acceptance to the program and to secure this scholarship, the student must submit the $500 program deposit.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
The American Gap Association offers listings of additional scholarship opportunities available to gap year students. Check them out!
Make your TBB program a reality by fundraising for your tuition. We provide tools and support to help students raise funds toward their tuition. In past years, individual students have raised as much as $26,000! With the right tools, good strategy, and hard work, you can raise funds and help pay for your TBB program, too.
One of the ways we support student fundraising is through our YouCaring, a crowd-funding platform. This is a great tool to make outreach and fundraising in your family and friend network easier. TBB staff support student fundraising efforts, and TBB will promote student campaigns through social media and other networks.
Additionally, we provide staff support and guidance to students as they develop their fundraising campaign. What do successful campaigns include? You’ll reach out to your family and community and explain why a program with Thinking Beyond Borders is an important step in preparing you to address critical global issues. Using email, Facebook, Twitter, and even hand written letters, you can share you message broadly as you ask your community to invest in you and your commitment to our world. You can host events, reach out to local businesses, and pursue grants from organizations like Rotary and Kiwanis. The possibilities are endless. With support from TBB, the more work you put in, the more funds you will raise.